Friday, July 24, 2015

Music that Inspired me

A recent post online asked what Pieces of music inspire you to break open the books and write so I thought I would revisit this and expand on it

There are several bands that inspire me, and a few pieces of music that really get the creative mood going.

First piece of music to really get my mind going was:

I discovered this at around age 10... one of the benefits of having older brothers

Queen - Queen II -

Black Side (Side Two)    
No.         Title                                                        Length 
1.            "Ogre Battle"                                             4:10
2.            "The Fairy Feller's Master-Stroke"            2:40
3.            "Nevermore"                                              1:15
4.            "The March of the Black Queen"               6:33
5.            "Funny How Love Is"                                2:50

6.            "Seven Seas of Rhye"                                2:50


As a whole, this is pure imagery in such a fantasy and whimsical way


Now once upon a time - an old man told me a fable
When the piper is gone - and the soup is cold on your table
And if the black crow flies to find a new destination - that is the sign
Come tonight
Come to the ogre sight
Come to the ogre-battle-fight


The Fairy Feller's Master-Stroke is describing this painting , again, the imagery 
Richard Dadd  "The Fairy Feller's Master Stroke" 
Other Queen Songs:
The Prophet Song
Death on Two Legs
Killer Queen
Keep Yourself Alive



Jethro Tull  - The Broadsword and the Beast

Broadsword
I see a dark sail on the horizon, set under a black cloud that hides the sun. Bring me my broadsword and clear understanding. Bring me my cross of gold as a talisman

Beastie
From early days of infancy, through trembling years
of youth, long murky middle-age and final hours
long in the tooth, he is the hundred names of terror ---
creature you love the least. Picture his name before
you and exorcise the beast.

Other Jethro Tull Songs that have inspired me are numerous, I have listed a few 

The Minstrel in the Gallery
Skating Away (on the thin ice of the new day)
The Entire AQUALUNG album
Songs From the Wood


Other Music:

Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Tarkus album and Pictures At An Exhibition

The Doors - Crystal Ship / Land Ho / Riders on the Storm

Clannad - I will Find you 

Classical Music
Also Sprach Zarathustra
Blue Danube
The Sorcerer's Apprentice
Night On Bald Mountain
The Valkyrie: Ride of the Valkyries
Carmina Burana: O Fortuna  (Used in Excalibur) 


I love music that evokes images Such as Squeeze's Pulling Music from a shell

They do it down on Camber Sands
They do it at Waikiki
Lazing about the beach all day,
At night the crickets creepy

Squinting faces at the sky
A Harold Robbins paperback
Surfers drop their boards and dry

And everybody wants a hat


No comments:

Post a Comment